View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 02:14 AM   #89
jocko

Re: Post a real Cheyenne Super only (aka the defiinitive Cheyenne Super thread)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
I don't have the spid and I'd love to know if my 72 is a real Super or a fake.

Has AC, shoulder seat belts, wood on the door panels and dash, tilt, rear cab light, lower trim only. I added the seat cover.

Any ways I can tell 100%?
Beautiful truck! No way to know for sure if it was born a Super without a SPID or build sheet. While playing Sherlock Holmes with the tell tale signs will provide clues, it would never be a definitive answer. Your truck is so nice and clearly redone, would be hard to even guess. The tailgate handle cover is missing (but they sometimes are), and Supers never came with black door panels (unless they had black buckets). So, for example, if you knew enough of the truck's history to at least know the door panels were original, you could make the assumption it's a Cheyenne, but not a Super. But, if you don't know that history - it's possible it could be a Cheyenne Super that someone redid with black door panels... Again, no way to know definitively without the paperwork. (then again, untouched trucks tend to still have their SPIDs, so guessing based on clues isn't usually necessary)

Forgot to mention - as for woodgrain on the door panels, both Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super had them, so not a giveaway as to trim level (headliner is a fairly good clue it's a Cheyenne at least - but, like woodgrain door panels, Cheyennes and Cheyenne Supers both had headliners - it's just a lot more work to add a headliner than a woodgrain door panel...) A/C, tilt, and even super rare factory shoulder belts are unrelated to trim level. All could be ordered on a base trim truck (a Custom).

It's easier to guess the Super originality based on clues alone on an untouched/unrestored truck - i.e. it's more difficult to fake a well worn Super than it is a fully restored one. Hard to make a group of parts look exactly the same age (unless that age is brand new). But still, all conjecture without the paper to back it up.

I'd want to know too if it were my truck, but I sure wouldn't sweat it - yours is one sweet ride, enjoy! We sure enjoy lookin at it.

Last edited by jocko; 02-08-2017 at 02:22 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote