View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #117
Hoodogie

Re: 67-72 Chevy Truck fuel gauge diagnostics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
It sounds like you have lost the power to the gauge. My first question is does the temp gauge work? Make sure the temp gauge works before anything else is done.

If the temp gauge does not work, check for battery voltage at the #3 terminal of the cluster connector. You should have voltage with key on. If not, check the gauge fuse.

Also it is critical that the circuit board tangs where the connector plugs in have not moved and caused a short. Over years they do come loose. Yu can repair with a dab of super glue if needed.

If you suspect the resistor is bad, remove it from the gauge and test it with an ohm meter from one side to the other. You should have approx 85 ohms.

The gauge will set at the 3 oclock poistion when it looses ground or the tan wire is not connected, which is the signal wire from the sender.

The gauge will stay where ever it stopped after ign is shut off or the gauge looses battery voltage.

Hope this helps,
Tom
I do have power at the gauge and the temp gauge works. What I did was run a ground wire to the bottom terminal and went down and put some gas in it the gauge is now reading a bit over full not at the 3oclock position. not sure if the ground fixed it or not yet I'll have to take it for a ride and see if it moves before I move to the next step. thanks you are a great help I'll let you know if the ground worked thanks again