View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Not Getting Enough Voltage

See the black wire in the picture above. It is a ground wire from the regulator to the alternator and they must be connected plus the regulator has to be grounded to the radiator shroud. The regulator is mounted in rubber nuts so it needs to be grounded.

The capacitor is not part of the charging system, it helps prevent the static in the radio but I think it is mounted on the regulator.

The internally regulated alternators started in 1973 or 74 and the better ones came out in the late eighties on camaros firebirds buicks and chevy trucks. The 12 SIs are the best. Most GM vehicles used them.
You can tell them by the larger vents in the rear of the body.

Name:  delcor4.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  83.1 KB

The wiring conversion is easy to do, if you decide to get one just post up and well show you how to do it.

You can jump the regulator and full field the alternator just to see if it will charge. by jumping the red and white wires in the regulator plug and the alternator will go to full charge but don't do it for more than 30 seconds because the alternator will get very warm and could over charge the system.
It could also blow some lights if they are on. I';ll double check the jumping procedure to be sure I told you the right wires.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote