Thread: 4L60e overhaul
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #41
TexasT

Re: 4L60e overhaul

My feed back is I like to do things and learn. Neither of you have explained why I need a "shift kit" other than I just do. I asked to explain why one would drill on the rev drum and install the different size offices. What does this help? Why are we changing the size? Does it increase the pressure of the rev piston? Are you increasing the clamping force? Give me a reason or I'm just thinking you don't known or just don't want to tell.

Physics tells us that increasing the pressure will apply the clutches quicker and with more force. That is why that fellow suggested upping the pressure switch with half a turn. I know that by putting a stiffer spring in the pump slide the pump will stay in a position to deliver more volume at a higher rpm. Volume and pressure are related. The larger boost valve also gives the pump the ability to provide larger pressure. I'm sure it is in the kit. If the trans has worn seals that can't make use of the pressure increase we aren't getting anywhere either. So yes an overhaul with new is in order, not just putting in a kit.

This gets us to the clearances. And why new bushings and shaft seals are also needed to control those pressures. Also have to set those shifting clutches and band up to apply and release at the right time to get the shift feel the user wants.

I don't need my stupid fixed. I know how to read, and learn. You just seem to want to spend on things you perceive you need. If you build ten of these units a month and spend that extra $50 on each one math sez that is $500. If you could accomplish the same thing for $30 or $20 you could be netting and extra $2-300 in those months. Or you could be doing more of them by lowering the price you charge, though that is going backwards unless you have a crew doing the actual labor.

Either way it is a hobby for me. Next up is a 4l80e for our other suburban. And a water pump on or k2500 pickup in there too. Then there is the gravely garden tractor I am goofing with. And the front end (bushings n ball joints) of the suburban this 4l60e is going in. I like to wrench and don't do it on a schedule because it is a hobby.