View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #11
mr48chev

Re: How to get my dad's old pickup running?

As far as putting "oil" in the cylinders a few squirts of Marvel Mystery oil (available at O'Reilly's and most other parts houses might be best. No matter what you squirt in the cylinders you want to crank the engine over with all of the plugs out for short periods a few times before putting the plugs in. That will hopefully blow any excess oil out while letting the cylinder walls get lubed a bit at the same time.

Absolutely drain the old gas an it will probably smell like varnish. I've got a truck out here with a tank in the bed that has old gas in it that you can smell the varnish ten feet away on a hot day. I'm not going to use that tank again but what used to be gas will get poured on the burn pile.

Changing the oil is advisable along with the filter but I wouldn't use high detergent oil unless you know you dad did. There may be a quart of the oil he used somewhere in the truck that would let you know what the truck wants used in it.

The carb will need rebuilt before you actually drive it but if you use a small container to gently pour gas down the bowl vent tube of the carb you can fill the float bowl and should be able to fire up the engine and run it for maybe 30 seconds or a bit longer. I've started engines hanging from chain hoists that way in the past along with starting one sitting on a tire out here in the driveway. That should give you that "yup it will run" feeling.

As far as the points, as long as they aren't corroded on the contact surface (you can take an emery board and buff them a bit) and they open and close right I wouldn't do anything with the until I did the whole tuneup thing later. If it doesn't need changing don't change it right now.

Good luck, give us a report and have fun with it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote