View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 12:39 AM   #87
SS Tim

Re: Time for some longhorn love, show pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvinit View Post
I dug up this thread so I could post this combo, 72 Cheyenne Longhorn c20, 402 , a/c , with a 72 sportman 11 ft camper perched in the back. Might be a little much, I,ll need air bags for sure. Anyone know the gvw or payload of my truck.
The "as manufactured" maximum GVW can be found on the door pillar VIN plate as well as the "maximum possible" GVW when properly optioned. While the Longhorns did have the heavier 1 ton (C30) frame the suspension and axles were pure C20 offerings. As such expect a maximum possible GVW of 7500lbs split between a max front axle weight of 3500lbs and a max rear axle weight of 5200lbs.
Depending on how the truck was optioned it may be marked "as built" as low as 6200 /3500 front /3980 rear.

Payload in simplified form is a matter of weighing your truck and subtracting it from the max "as built" weight posted.

Published curb weight and option weights suggest your truck weighs at least 4565lbs with standard fuel and no occupants nor payload. Best case that would leave you about 2935lbs divided between people, camper (wet), equipment and any aux fuel tankage.
Of course this is only an example and must be verified by measuring actual weights.

Both the chassis service manual (pg 0-6 & 0-7) and the driver's handbook provide detailed loading and required options for specific GVW ratings.

As to your camper, while it might be barely light enough empty its still big. Worse it is for a standard 8' bed pickup. The closed rear overhang prevents the camper from sliding fully forward and sharing more load with the front axle. The unfortunate fact is Longhorns typically required a custom size camper to fit the longer box and best balance the truck. Suspension rating aside, my guess is you are at if not over the rear axle's maximum rating 5200lbs as it sits.

While airbags my level your camper they won't make the load lighter nor IMHO safer.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote