View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Re: Dan Gurney Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalFarmboy View Post
Hey everyone, new here, thought I'd try my luck with the 4by guys in this thread. Picked up another square that came with some slotted jellybean mags. I don't particularly like the slotted mag style, so I polished em up with the intention of selling em. Noticed on the back was a brand, Dan Gurney Ind. Did a little research and found lots of Memorabilia and Dan Gurney branded Cougars and 4 lug Porsche and VDub wheels. But I couldn't for the life of me find any info on their 8 lugs. After a little digging found that US MAG bought Dan Gurney sometime in the '70s, meaning these wheels gotta be around 40 years old. Just looking for some info on these things. Like the history of the company, if they're collectable or maybe what they're worth. Just kinda want to know a little more, I don't want end up flogging a set of wheels that ended up being worth a decent sum. Here's a picture of em, wrapped in the infamous BFG m/t knockoffs. Thanks everyone!
These are not worth any more than any other of the same style, and many that are same wheels with different name. Dan Gurney never made these wheels. US Mags made them for the Dan Gurney brand, then bought them out. There were also Carroll Shelby and Parnelli Jones slots identical to these, as well as others.

I wouldn't have bothered polishing them up. Guys love them but they are only in 16.5, so a narrow market. They bring $300 to those willing to deal with the 16.5 situation. I just clean them up and get that. Not every 4wd guy wants them polished anyway. Some like them, including me, for being what these trucks might have had in the day and like them looking aged with the truck. I've always liked the look of raw clean cast aluminum. I would try for $500 and see what you can get.

The Dana44 cover shown I had to buy new and polished. I soaked it in muriatic acid for a couple weeks for desired effect. Blasting it would have done better but I wanted to use up the acid
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-13-2018 at 10:06 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote