View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #561
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

The seat bases have their own special challenge. Square bodies have flat floors (cause their square ) Where our "Glamour Trucks" have crowned floors. They drop about 3/4" over 2 feet. (Photo #1). Some some spacers of some sort will be required. To start I ground some wedge washers down to match the angle of the slope (Photo #2) then I put a round spacer on top of the each wedge. (Photo #3 this photo was before I installed the wedge washers)
Once the spacer plan was figured out it was a matter of finding the right spot to bolt the seat down. Lots of boxes to check off. How did the upholstery line up, how well did the seat clear the back when lifting up, how was the gap between the seat base and the back, how did the seat land on the bumper under each end, did the latch work. It took at least 30 minutes of jockeying the seat around before I was satisfied enough to mark the spot and drill the floor.

The other side ended up being even more difficult to get aligned. Much to my frustration, as I was thinking it should be a cake walk. Making the story shorter I discovered the seat is bent. (Photo #4) Possibly it happened when the original hinge was damaged. I attempted to straighten the seat but after taking the base off I realized I would have to build a jig and remove the upholstery to get it fixed. So for the short term I just put a spacer under one of the bumpers and once I had it aligned I attached it. This simple little paragraph took over 2 hours in real time.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote