View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #56
matt.quest21

Re: Matt's 1970 C10 Thread

The time has finally arrived! I removed my cab yesterday.

I built the cab cart out of some 4x4s and a couple of leftover 2x6s and 2x4s I had from another project. I bought the pneumatic casters off of Amazon. I don't have the weight distributed perfectly on the cart, but I was able to safely move it to my back yard.

I used an engine hoist to lift the cab off of the frame. Instead of lifting from the roof like many people do, I used eye bolts in the seat-belt holes. I then ran the straps through the firewall to the lower fender mount holes on the cab. The load wasn't balanced well, but with the help of a neighbor I was able to maneuver it well enough to get it on the cart.

So next steps will be to line up either a tow dolly or car trailer to get the chassis to the frame shop. I've called around to a few places and there were numerous shops that wouldn't even entertain the idea. I was able to get in touch with a friend who has been in Bodywork business all of his life and he gave me a good source. I talked to the owner of the shop and he was super nice. He told me he would take his time with it and get everything as near to perfect as he can. He also told me it would cost between $300 to $500 depending on number of setups. I thought that was very reasonable.

After the frame is straight and true, I'm going to begin disassembly in preparation for media blasting and painting.

My parts I ordered earlier this month are due in Wednesday. Once the parts get in I will inventory everything and begin planning for their install.

That's it for now. Y'all have a good week!