View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 08:58 PM   #16
dmjlambert

Re: Fuel gauge, front fender marking lights quit working after new cluster installed

If by saying tabs on the fuse panel you mean the terminals that you can plug wires into, there is only one terminal related to the fuel gauge and it is marked FUEL GA. on most fuse panels. It really doesn't have anything to do with the fuses, and doesn't really belong on the fuse panel, but I suppose it was put there as a convenient place to plug in a wire. The wire that plugs in there is the tan wire from the fuel tank. That wire provides ground through a rheostat in the gas tank. With the gas tank wire unplugged from that terminal and the ignition switch key in the on position, there is near 12 volts on that terminal. With the gas tank wire plugged into that terminal and the ignition switch key in the on position, and sticking the multimeter probe into the back of the plastic connector where the tan wire goes into the connector so I make contact to the metal in there, there is less voltage on it. With my 1/4 tank of fuel I get about 3 volts. That voltage is coming from the fuel gauge. The voltage travels from the driver side post of the fuel gauge, through the gauge windings and then to the passenger side post of the fuel gauge, and through the printed circuit to the tan wire and finally into the back of the fuse panel attaching to that terminal. If the driver side post of the fuel gauge is not supplied 12 v with the ignition switch key in the on position, that will prevent the gauge from working (and also prevent the voltage from showing up on that terminal of the fuse panel). Keep on tracking down that problem.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote