Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #247
Vic1947

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I was able to suck in some of the high spots using the shrink tip on my stud welder, there is still a bit more to do. I decided it was time to clean up the door surround and check out the conture, i massaged it a little and got it pretty close, didn't install the door into the surround yet but will do that before i weld it in.

This brings up a question..... I cant reach the back side of the opening with my bantam motor so whats the best way to clean and prep the back side before ya weld? I can take some Scotch brite or sand paper to it but think that may take a while. Same go's for wanting to cover the weld with seam sealer when I'm done. Ideas??

If anything good came from this its that i am now looking at the paint layers, my step dad paid my uncle to paint this truck When my uncle was out of work and needed money, its now evident that my uncle just scuffed the original paint then primed and repainted, I already know he just masked around the door handles, windows and trim lettering and the original paint was in great shape before it was painted, so I'm half tempted to grab my sander and try and sand the outer paint and primer off then get back to the original color, anybody think this is possible?? the exterior dark green is pretty shot.
Looking good on the panel straightening as well as the fuel filler door! You're going to have it where you want it in no time.

When I need to clean up the back of something that's borderline unreachable, I'll take a couple of sanding discs and put them back to back and install them on an air sander. Discs in attached photos may be too large for your application, but can be trimmed to the size needed. Put the discs thru the opening and use the sanding surface that's facing you. As for the seam sealer, I'd just use my fingers.

I doubt you'll have much luck sanding down just the repaint layer. But if you plan a repaint, it needs to come off anyway. No use wasting expensive materials on a quickie prep.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote