View Single Post
Old 09-05-2023, 04:42 AM   #13
mr48chev

Re: Stripped banjo bolt…helicoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I've also had a few issues with the new crush washers and it seems they are harder material than they used to be. copper is big bucks so you gotta wonder.

I'd have to believe that you may have hit on the real issue. Suppliers cutting corners . No caliper manufacture would make their own crush washers, they buy them from suppliers just as they do the banjo bolts.

Having to contend with less than stellar parts wasn't an issue when I was working on them every day as long as you bought the "good" parts.

Throw in the simple fact that too many bean counters in companies push to "get it cheaper" and the base castings that they machine their calipers from could be a bit suspect or maybe there was a bad batch.

I don't see why you can't helicoil the threads though, you will have to have a bottoming tap to cut the threads for the helicoil as a tapered tap isn't going to get threads down far enough. The copper washers are the actual seal. I'd hunt down some actual soft copper washers though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 09-05-2023 at 04:48 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote