View Single Post
Old 12-01-2023, 03:45 PM   #5
mr48chev

Re: SBC Power Steering pump and brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
There are differences in power steering and alternator brackets that can play havoc with a conversion. If your cylinder heads do not have bolt holes in the face of the head you will not be able to use brackets that fit heads with bolt holes. If your brackets use the lower bolts on the block, the same ones that are used for the OE '55 - '59 truck V8 mounts, it can play havoc with your conversion. If you get a pump and brackets from a vehicle with threads or fittings that do not match your hoses, it could play havoc with your conversion.

It may be possible to help if you provide more details. What engine mounts are you using? Does the LH head have bolt holes in the front? Stock exhaust and intake or aftermarket? Metric or standard threads on the hoses?

Sorry it's such a pain. I've played this game to many times in my own projects....
This is the right answer. He has been there done that and is not "assuming"

60's 327 with a long water pump stuck on it is a pain in the keester to fit brackets on. That is usually for the alternator rather than power steering pump though.

I think what I would do as research is go look at mid 70's square body tru cks with small blocks that should have a long pump and see how they are set up.

Most of the GM Saginaw pumps are the same, it is the canisters that are different and even going from Chevy small block to Chevy small block without matcing brackets the canister sometimes doesn't let the hoses fit right due to it's orientation.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote