View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

ChevyMike's '65 Hot Rod C10

Well, I have been working my '68 C10 project, Hot Rod Hauler, for the last year and a half. This was only to be a quick 6 month project but as things happen, one thing led to another and it became a full frame off build. During this time I have been totally wanting a running/driving classic vehicle and had been looking at old Nova's, El Camino's and even classic (pre '70) vans. As it would be, I found a good deal on this '65 C10 and pulled the trigger. This ended up looking just about how I wanted to do my last '64 that I sold when I bought the '68 project. I want to keep this one kind of old school hot rod.

As for the body, it is fairly straight but has 45 years of bumps and dings. It was rattle can primered, then rattle can satin black and white. Overall it's a 20 footer and looks much better in pics but at this point, it runs and looks decent. The interior is plain and had "some car bench" seat that wasn't really even bolted down. It also had two sets of wheels/tires but due to issues with either set of the tires or wheels, it wasn't riding on a matching set front to rear. No worries as I had my old '68 bench seat and some different wheels at home. Also, a rear roll pan was installed too.

The suspension had been swapped over to a '73+ disc brakes on the front and 5 lug rear end with some decent highway gears in the back. The front was lowered with some Ground Force 3" dropped springs and for some reason, a PO swapped the trailing arm setup for a leaf spring setup. They also did a shackle hanger reversal and lowering shackles. At some point I'll swap back to a trailing arm setup but for now it works okay.

The engine and transmission are fairly decent. Strong 350 SBC and a SM465 4 speed (granny first). It has an Edelbrock carb and Performer EPS manifold along with a set of Hooker headers. This is all flowing out a set of Flowmaster mufflers. It was also converted to an HEI distributor and MSD wires. I'm going to run the engine until it needs to be replace and will swap the tranny for a real 4 speed. Either a T10 or Muncie, depending on what I find a deal on.

The biggest problem the truck had was electrical (don't most old vehicles, due to previous owners). It was a mess and I am lucky I made the 150 mile drive home. The day after I got it home, I went to start it and found the positive battery cable had melted thru on the headers and was sparking. Also none of the running or brake lights worked, nor did it charge. A very good buddy of mine, who does auto electrical work, came over and in 11 hours, we got everything working correctly. Lights, charging, new gauges, etc.

With that done, it was still not running 100%. My pop came over and we did some tune up work. New plugs, got the timing set correctly and hooked up the vacuum advance. Now she starts and purrs like a lion (no kitten here). LOL

I also decided to use my slot mag wheels on this truck instead of the '68. I just think they look better on this body style and truck rallys on the '68, so that's the plan. Wheels are 15x7 front, 15x8.5 rear with BFG 235/70-15 front, 255/70-15 rear. White letters out and it just looks like a hot rod should.

Future projects are to swap over to power steering and power brakes. I forgot what it was like to arm wrestle an old truck. Went to the junk yard today and bought a PB booster and I have a new master cylinder and prop. valve from the '68's Early Classics drop kit, that I am not using on that truck since I went to 4 wheel discs. I also started to setup some tailgate cables as one of the PO had shaved the tailgate chains.

Well I guess that was long enough, time for some pics.

The just arrived home pics

Side view with old wheel/tire setup

Ahhh... Slot Mags and BFG's, what could be better...

Engine shots

Interior after adding gauges and '68 seat

That's it for now. Hope you enjoyed the story. Stay tuned for more to come...
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote