Thread: 55.2-59 55-57 one piece windows
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #207
DransportGarage

Re: 55-57 one piece windows

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've been using the blackdiesel's videos (awesome!) to do my one-piece POWER windows and thought others might want the info. I got a hold of these power units at a swap meet for $50 last year and now I'm trying to install them:

I got no directions, no hardware and no mating electrical connectors, but they were still worth it. Using the tip from the video, I made these "batwings" out of my old regulators:

The major dimension of each "wing" of the batwing is about 6". I cut both wings at 15 degrees and welded them together, then drilled them as shown. I used a nylock nut so I could leave the two mounting screws loose because the window has to tilt forward as it goes up.

The power unit doesn't fit into the door too easily so I cut a slot in the door about the width of the bar on the power unit, as shown:

I cut the slot straight down, but this was a mistake. When I do the other door I will cut the slot about 1/2" wider than the bar and will angle the slot toward the back lower corner of the door. When you slide the unit in you have to reach down a couple of times into the door to guide first the "tube", then the motor assembly over the brace half way down the door. Realize that this slot weakens the door slightly, but when I install the cover plate over the hole it should give it some needed reinforcement.

Note also the allen wrench sticking out of the button-head screw. This holds the top of the bar in place. Also note that these regulators may have metric threads. 1/4"-28s almost fit, but they're too tight.

On the next installment I'll take some measurements of the regulator mounting holes near the rear-center of the door. I don't know if this is going to work or not yet (gotta have about 16" of travel and the door brace might be in the way), so we'll see...
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 09-22-2019 at 05:27 AM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote