View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Duro5341

Re: WIW '86 limited slip 3.73 w/ pics

The one in the pictures looks to be a true-posi, and aftermarket replacement. Being it has the big "s" spring, and you can see the clutch packs. You'll have to see if the posi still works though......you should be able to put 50-80ftlbs of torque to one axle, and lock the other one....if it turns freely, with no resistance the posi is burnt, and will have to be rebuilt

There is nothing wrong with a 10 bolt, if you put some bigger 30 spline axles, with a good working posi....they will take alot of abuse. When I had mine rebuilt I told the shop I was gunna be pulling 7000lbs once a month, and I didn't want it to break. And they garenteed it wouldn't break, so they can be built....just takes some money. Obviously a 14bolt will be stronger out of the box, but it looks like your truck is a cruising truck, and the odd burnout....it's more than enough

I don't see any abnormal wear, but you won't know if it whines until you drive it.....or put the $200-$300 into it for a new crown and pinion, and rebuild the posi,new seals, and bearings...and it shouldn't whine

Anything is possible in a roll-over.......and yes axle tubes can be bent once, and they can't be bent back....but they normally break the axle first when the wheel hits, and crush the bearing.....Does everything spin nicely, with no rough spots?...if it's all smooth I wouldn't hesitate putting it in...for the $150 price tag I woulddn't hesitate, the core is worth around $100-$150

Sounds to me like it's out of a 1/2ton 2WD truck, but what your saying.....it looks like a normal 10 bolt, 5 lug rear end.....nothing heavy duty about it

Just my 2 cents
Duro
-1979 Monte Carlo, 350, 200r4, 3.73 posi
-1987 GT T-top Mustang - slow moving project
Duro5341 is offline   Reply With Quote