View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #1228
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

I finally got some time to work on the truck a little. I picked up some aluminum stock to make lowering blocks. I got enough to make 4 2"x7"x3/4" blocks and 2 2"x7"x1/2" blocks so I can adjust as needed. I figured 1-1/2" minimum would be needed.

I love my band saw...

Hole drilling time...

Looking like a machine shop around here.

My new u-bolts were 3/4" like the stockers. I have a 3/4" bit, but figured that was too tight on the tolerances. I don't have a 13/16" bit, so went with 7/8" and I'm glad I did.

The U-bolts as bent were too closed up. Probably 4" between the ends and 4-1/4" is needed. Tip of the day for opening them up a little: Put on some gloves, hold one side firmly (I found that holding it closer to the end worked better) and hammer that mother down on some solid concrete or an anvil if you have 1. Hit the top of the arch. The guy that made the bolts told me this trick. There is enough memory in the steel that it wants to flex back straighter and the blunt force on the bend will help it along.

So it looks like I'm ready...

Installing them wasn't too hard. I ended up taking the lower spring mount bolts out so the trailing arm would hang loose. Needed to persuade the axle forward to get the holes to line up with the arms lower.

The new stance...

I think it's good right there. 2" rake as measured from the top of each wheel arch.

Drove it around a bit to see if it would settle any. It didn't. Went by the scale and parked it there for a couple pics...

The weight, without me in it and about 3/4 tank of gas. Pretty good for a longbed I think.

Time to figure out what alignment specs I want and get it in. Road trip in a few weeks.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote