View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: 67-68 Suburban roof skin replacement?

I don't know of any aftermarket roof skins, heck you can't get third door sills. So depending on what your calling typical rust would decide for me as what to do. My Burban had rust in the drip rail across the front where the seam sealer failed. I cleaned it up but I didn't have any rust through. There were a couple of pinholes on the inside sheet metal behind the visors. I sprayed POR in the void space and fiberglassed the holes. I was on the fence as whether to cut the panel out and replace it, but in the end I decided that now that I had stopped the water ingress and sealed the rust I would be fine until the next repaint. Some with more experience could say whether or not a pickup drip rail and front of the cab roof pieces would fit on a Suburban or not. I would suspect they would, but I do know the roof gets wider as you go back on Burbans There are pictures of the drip rail restoration on my Burban in the WMB thread below.

And as far as a hole roof transplant that could go easy or terrible just depending on how close the original roof and the new one were dimensionally to each other with manufacturing tolerance stacking issues and the fact that I would bet there was only one or possibly two stampings die for every 67-72 Suburban and Panel roof made and as it went through it's life span an early roof would be slightly different than a later roof. Which at assembly time wasn't a problem but once all the other pieces are welded to it it could be problematic. Or I'm wayyyyy over thinking this.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote