View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #18
Overdriven

Re: Need Help - Truck at alignment shop

I'm sure I'll have my turn at "uhhh, wait a minute, is this right?" too! Lol

But it is said how bad some of these shops can be with alignment. My boss had me take the work truck to Mavis and they replaced a tie rod and did an alignment. I asked for a printout, they said they don't give one unless asked beforehand. The look on my face said it all and the guy said he'll have them throw it back on right now to get me a printout. They got the truck on the rack lickety split and I went over to the bay to observe and have a smoke. Told the tech I was on company time and not to rush before he even put the first sensor on a wheel. He did his sweeps, then he spent the next 20min making adjustments so the printout would reflect a decent alignment instead of his half assed attempt the first time.

Always tell them you want a printout of the final alignment and factory specs if they're a computer alignment. Those computerized machines give a green "window" of supposedly "acceptable" specs that let them be plus or minus a few degrees off on each wheel. Lots of techs will just get it in those windows and quit unless they have to prove the worthiness of their work to the customer with a printout. Seen it happen firsthand everywhere from Jaguar dealers, chain shops to independents. It also prevents the "toe and go" quickly alignments, unless they falsify the printout or something but most will have at least the year, make and model on the printout to prevent falsifying them.

Last edited by Overdriven; 05-11-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote