View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
jeffg1010

"Project S" - My boy Sam's '72 2wd Blazer -The Red Sled

My little boy Sam loves the Superman logo. It's become his trademark And we've even been known to call him SuperSam. He turned 7 in December, I guess as he grows and this build develops, that name may change. But, this will be his build... eventually

Alright... a few have already read about it. I've been talking about it since um... October? November? But, I finally got it delivered two weeks ago and I have been "tinkering" on it. And as I was grinding in the garage tonight, I thought "I've done some small things to it and haven't even started a build thread"

So, here's the story ... I will back up and start from the beginning of where the Blazer came from. Have a seat, because this intro is in depth.

For months, I had been getting my (then) six year old little boy pumped up about a Blazer project. Ya know, maybe your dad did it to you when you were a kid : "We are gonna build you one of those...blah, blah, blah" (come to think of it, I never got the '57 Chevy I was promised) -haha. OK, so I took him to the Fall Auto Fair at Charlotte Motor Speedway in August and I wanted him to see one. (to build the dream!) We had a great time and even found a couple. -but none in our price range!

And yeah that's Sam... posing (um... is he pickin' his nose?!?)

This one is owned by a board member... um... rustybucket? It was owned by Blazester when this photo was taken:

And this Blazer is owned by board member, bashed ...

SO, while I was talking to Jerrett (a.k.a.- bashed), I told him I was hoping to get one for a project this Spring. AND, he said he had another 2wd he was going to sell. So I gave him my card and told him to email me some pictures. I was pretty pumped up!

OK, so WEEKS went by and I never heard from him. I didnt have his name, his number. (yep, idiot move on my part) All I had was a photo of his Blazer and he had mentioned to me that he was at the show with the East Coast Cruisers. So, I finally Googled the East Coast Cruisers website and emailed them to tell them I was looking for a member who was at the Auto Fair. The only info I had was his Ochre Yellow Blazer. After a few days, (and apparently a few email forwards) I got contact info.

So, I called him to follow up and sure enough, he was still looking to sell it. He sent me these photos the following weekend...

So... I had to have it. The only trouble is, I just started my own business. We are definitely ... in the red. But when I decide I want something, I will do anything to get it.

He said he wasn't in a hurry to sell it, in fact he wasnt even trying to sell it, so I didn't commit right away. BUT it stayed on my mind.

Fast forward to November, I finally got a little bit of cash saved up and I offered to make a deposit on the Blazer. He agreed. So, on paper my ownership began on Tues, November 8th, 2011. Our deal was he would hold it at his place until I got my tax return and I would pay off the rest. Sounded crazy even to me at the time.

SO, when I went to his place on the 8th, I shot ALL of these photos: (yeah, he had it in primer by then)

In the meantime, I spent my Christmas holiday parting out a '71 that I talked my dad into buying. I wanted to go ahead and score the top (for a donor-sliding sunroof project) and hatch (mine is shot) and the rear seat (mine is a rear seat delete and yeah... I have 3 kids) In the process, I also kept a box load of small parts because to be honest, I really had no idea what mine needed at the time. At the time, I had never even driven mine. haha!

Compared to the rest of the Blazer, the seat and hatch were mint.

SO... then we fast forward ahead again. I met up with Jerrett (bashed) a once to give him a little more money so he didn't think I evaporated, but I NEEDED that tax money. After the first of the year, I started working on my taxes, and when I received the last of my documents at the end of January, I filed them as quickly as possible... HOWEVER, Uncle Sam had other opinions. My return was e-filed on 2/2/12 and my return was estimated to be in on 2/19 but at some point I guess I pulled the short straw and my return was picked for "review". I guess our investment to buy the Charlotte franchise division of our company threw up a red flag and that began a chain of tax events that had me pulling my hair out. 2/19 turned into 3/23, then for a few weeks we didn't even have an estimated date. And then finally we got a date in April. When it finally came, they didn't even direct deposit it They sent it via check,(which I think I paid for-maybe I should look into that - I'll leave that rant for another thread)

At this point, I should probably give a shout out to board member bashed. He was a real understanding super guy to work with, even when it came to dealing with a broke fool like myself.

So, FINALLY the ball started rolling again. (7 months after our first meeting-ha!) In fact, it moved pretty quickly. I set it up to have it shipped directly to my dads, since he is all pumped up about building Sam having a Blazer. Of course, the shipping had it's own little issues.. I talked about it in another thread (if you're bored, feel free to indulge yourself) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=520173

Here is the photos of when the shipper arrived at my dads work...

It arrived sharing trailer space with a pretty sweet '55

So, the first weekend I had it, I drove up to my dads without checking the forecast, and I got nothing done. Although I DID finally get to drive it ... illegally. As of now, it is still there and I am getting little done, but it's MINE now *bwahahaha*, AND I have 8 years to get it finished
(although, I may throw paint on it, so I can break it in for him now!)

I guess that gets it up to speed on how the whole deal came together. I guess I will now jump ahead to plans.
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote