Thread: rookie!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
68c10airstream

Re: rookie!!!!!!

Hi, i'll throw in a few suggestions on your nice project. The driver's side box panel you have sanded approximately 50% down to bare metal. If you paint primer over the whole box panel you will be dealing with a lot of feather edged old paint trying to be smooth with the bare areas an so i suggest sanding the complete box panel to bare which will result in no feather edging except your body filler areas.

When you get to shooting the metallic base color (provided you clear coat over it, which is a must in my world) shoot the metallic very dry, no wet pooling of paint. By doing it dry the metallic flakes can "stand up". If you apply it wet you will get mottling, tiger stripes and an overall somewhat poor job. If you don't clear coat over the base metallic paint in no time the aluminum flakes that stick out of the base will "haze" and look very dull.

I just had this very topic of conversation with probably one of the best old shop owners and he agreed about the base metallic color going on dry "like sandpaper" Good luck
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote