View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #46
Cameron 1137

Re: '66 Corvair "Marigold"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C10Stepside View Post
Just found this thread last night. I'm a Corvair guy too, have three of 'em, they breed like rabbits!

Ouch on the seat repair bill. That's what a complete set of new seatcovers costs! I just find good donor seats and swap 'em in! All my cars are drivers (or projects). Sorry you're feeling down about marigold. Remember, it's a 46 year old car, and how cheap you probably got it.

You're in good company. I've been having engine trouble with my 68 500 lately. To be fair, it was a used engine. The original engine was still running strong when I pulled it after over 5 great years of reliable and fun driving. Here's a picture of the 68:

p.s. Hi davemotohead! solve the crow problem yet?
Welcome to the fun! fortunately she is running really good now and ive been driving her to school occasionally. I really like this car but im kind of burnt out with it. i tend to get attached to my vehicles though. I have been looking for a new ride but havent made an attempt to sell this one. im just at the stage in my life where i want more horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Do they really multiply?!? I jus ttook a 66 Monza convertible in trade on my Lincoln, and I really hope it doesn't multiply on my. My wife thinks just the one is a little dubious, at best. I have a feeling my learning curve on Corvairs is about to speed way up, though.
You definetely learn fast when you have one to work on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C10Stepside View Post
NAW. It's up to you. If a dog follows you home you don't have to let it in...

Corvairs have been plentiful and affordable for a long time. GM made about 1.5 million of them over a ten year period. Many owners parked them when they got a newer car or they broke down, and just left them sitting. When you need parts for a Corvair, buying another Corvair is a great way to get a lot of parts dirt cheap.

Recently, it seems like the Corvair well is starting to dry up a bit, in my area, anyway. Of course, nice specimens are much more rare in the rust belt (midwest and east coast). More care restorers are choosing Corvairs for their next project because they are so much cheaper than other 60s cars. Prices have been going up, particularly on the nicer and rarer examples.

Corvairs share many parts with other 60s GM parts. They are simple and generally easy to work on. Like air-cooled VWs, you can drop the entire drivetrain to work on it. The vair engine has hydraulic lifters, so you don't have to adjust them all the time. Yes, there are some parts that are unique to the Corvair, and being air-cooled and in the rear scares some mechanics. GM mechanics rebelled against them because they required a little extra "book-larnin". My dad traded his 2 year old Corvair in because he was frustrated that the local dealer would not stock parts for it. This is one of a number of reasons for the Corvair's demise. The engines are extremely long-wearing, and complete rebuilds are rare. Most owners just fix whatever is broken and drive on. There are differences that can throw the novice. Many mistakes made are due to not being familiar with them and assuming they are the same as SBC (wrong).

The good news is that there are plenty of Corvair resources. A good place to start is the Corvair Center forum.
There's a national organization (CORSA) and clubs all around the country.
Many clubs offer free advice, shop space, and assistance. There are several Corvair-specific parts vendors, some of whom have been around for a long time.
Very good info here ^
1966 Chevy Corvair 500, "Marigold" SOLD
2005 Subaru Outback Wagon DEAD
2008 Pontiac G8, New Winter/Daily
Cameron 1137 is offline   Reply With Quote