View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #392
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

I have spent a few hours here and there working on the cab corner, finishing up the parts that still need to be welded, and fixing some of the bad welds I made.

I had a few issues with my welder including not realizing I ran out of gas, and then after I bought a larger tank, my regulator broke and leaked all the gas out of the new tank.

I switched to 0.24 wire size, and practiced a bit more, and the pics below is what I ended up with. Sometimes I was on a role and would do a bunch of good welds, then I would just start burning through. I could be wrong, but I think the metal on the back of the cab is thinner than the cab corner patch panel.

I have two possible issues I need to figure out how to resolve:

1. There is a gap between the cab corner and the back of the floor. I can probably press it in to spot weld it, or place a couple of sheet metal screws around the hole I am spot welding.

There is really no room to use a clamp on the floor to press it against the cab corner.

2. The part of the cab corner that wraps around the door pillar; it is flat against the sheet metal in the front, but not on the side. Does it have to be spot welded on the side? Should I bang out the metal on the pillar to meet the cab corner?

Here are some pics, but you are warned - these pics are NOT pretty. It does not bother me too much because this is not a very visible part of the truck when it is mounted on the frame, and I figure that's what Bondo is for, right?

My latest weld job:

Does this side have to be spot welded to the door pillar?

This side makes contact and can be spot welded:

These are the holes I made to spot weld to the back of the floor. There is a gap between the floor and the cab corner. Should I just press it in or do I need to start over?

Here is the gap from the inside of the cab:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote