View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
FiftyTwo

Re: S10 frame swap vs. Front and rear clip on 51 chevy

My '52 is on a S10 frame (love it) so here's my two cents worth:

(quote) 1- The cost and difficulty of an s10 swap, is it worth the hassle?
Answer - If you have the ability and equipment to design, cut, fabricate and weld, then the S10 swap is pretty easy and best of all cheap. After getting a S10 frame, I'm sure most guys that have done it themselves like me have less than $200.00 in steel. Something to think about, if you have a small driveway or 1 car garage, you'll quickly run out of room stripping down a S-10 along with your '53 truck. Putting it on a S10 frame and building it yourself takes time, but I wouldn't considered it a hassle. Building it is half the fun.

(quote) 2- How difficult is the swap using the kits?
Answer - Never did one. They seem pretty expensive, but if you can't fabricate or weld then I suppose their serve a purpose.

(quote) 3- The clip seems to be more cost efficent but was wondering about the ride.
Answer - When a frame is "clipped" correctly it can provide a real nice ride. You'll need to pick the right one (front steer or rear steer, Camaro, Nova, G-Body, etc), set the ride height and graft it to your existing frame with good, safe welds. You'll also have to remake mounts for the front sheet metal and bumper and most likely want to rebuild the suspension with new ball joints, brakes, etc. Lastly, you need to connect the steering with u-joints and steering shafts which can add up $$$. The good news is the rest of the frame doesn't change so the truck just bolts back together. After adding up all your costs, it may not be so cost efficient.

Now, if by "Clip" your talking about a typicall MII crosmember kit, then yes, they can be the most cost efficient in the long run. A MII crossmember kit can easily be installed in a weekend and the front sheet metal bolts right back on. Also, the rest of the frame doesn't change so there's no running board brackets, cab mounting brackets, bed mounting brackets and rear bumper brackets to fabricate. You'll still need to redo the rear suspension (more $$) along with other things too.

Each one,(S10 frame swap, a clip, or MII crossmember kit) have their pros and cons.

Bottom line, it's always about time and money. What do you have more of?

Hope this helps.

Last edited by FiftyTwo; 04-05-2011 at 10:48 PM.
FiftyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote