Thread: Jeep J10
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
Scott2

Re: Jeep J10

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Not a fan of th wagon wheels, but have always loved the later (60+?) fullsize Jeep pickups. Bad tendency to rot in wet climates though. Quadratrac? Not sure the last is good, but...
I do have some mixed feelings about the white spoke wheels but what else would you run to look like it's still 1979?

I had a '79 Cherokee Chief that came with them and they were cool in 1982. They are also cheap and available and steel now (more survivable off road) and the kid likes them so we'll take this one step at a time.

It's an older Jeep so it has rust. Rebuilding my '51 has given me a greater tolerance for rust than I had before, not sure if that's good or bad? Nevertheless, this one has some rot in the bed floor here and there, surface rust on a few body spots, and the drivers floor is nasty and mostly gone. I'm OK with fixing those areas and I don't see anything worse so far. I bought an entire extra bed (an 8' bed vs my 7', and it has rust as well, just not where I need good metal) so I can graft in the right patches to mine.

No quadratrac, just conventional 4wd which works fine. I may punt on this drivetrain anyway and swap in a 5.3, trans and transfer case from a Silverado/Suburban 1500 at some point. The AMC 360 on it's best day is not much of an engine and the mileage is really bad. It has the 4 speed manual with granny first gear and it works pretty good but you can do a lot better than an effective 3 speed manual.

Last edited by Scott2; 08-01-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote