View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Re: Door jamb VIN sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
just going threw this now.here in Canada the police said the dash and door sticker were changed (Texas truck)but the vin # says it's an 85,but a frame # says it's an 88.they told me (in my case) if pulled over and a cop noticed the truck said 3/4 ton 2 wheel,and it was 1/2 ton 4X4,it could have been siezed on the side of the road,(as is where is.full of tools or camping supplies)towed $$,impounded more$$.Heck i even went to the dealer who told me it was some crazy light duty 3/4 ton,with a 4X4 kit added ,came back here and told the guys about it.Keith straightened me out tho,as I was prepping to do the body on it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=417457&page=1
Dear officer> this truck's cab was rusted out and to the point that repair was twice that of replacing the cab from a similar model. Thank you for your concern but I can't afford a new truck right now, so I decided to rebuild this one but could only find a cab from a similar year. At this point he would either say ok and let u go, arrest you, or refer you to motor vehicle dept for an exemption...with ticket in hand.

They cannot make keep u from replacing a damaged or destroyed cab on a vehicle that u deem worth fixing and it is an unreasonable expectation that you should have to locate a cab from the exact year.

Worse case scenario your at court and explain to the judge your situation ...he or she obviously notices there's no INTENT on fraud and explains that next time you rebuild a vehicle which involves replacing a part with a vin. sticker /tag ...simply go to the dmv first ....they WILL let you do it with the proper paper work and documentation. No state can tell you that you cannot replace a damaged cab on a truck.

Where people get in trouble is a case such as yours where the officer is looking at potential scenarios of theft or fraud and has few choices which favor you and must make a decision right there on the highway.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote