View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 02:15 AM   #20
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Unity Spotlight Repairs

Just saw your questions today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x72alex View Post
Anyone know where to find retainer wire clips that hold the bulb secure to the housing? Mine were completely rusted through
Posted via Mobile Device
The bulb retaining spring clips are still available from Unityusa:

http://shop.unityusa.com/U-6598-Spring_p_353.html

They are also available at Accessoryland, but his website is currently offline. His phone number is listed as 563.556.5482 and 319.556.5482. Perhaps they had a recent area code split. If you order through Unity, talk to customer service and ask them to ship via a padded US Mail envelope. Otherwise the UPS cost will be as much as the parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1rodeoboater View Post
...just out of curiosity...how bright are these spotlights? I've always wondered about them but I've never had the opportunity to play with one in person.
The old standard 12v sealed beam spotlight bulbs are 75,000 candlepower. Halogen bulbs are offered and they put out 160,000 cp. The difference is significant to the naked eye. The newer plastic versions come with an H3 bulb that puts out 245,000 candlepower, but these are illegal on private vehicles in some states and they look weird on a vintage truck having a flat lens.

As a frame of reference, a non-halogen high beam sealed beam head lamp bulb puts out 35,000 cp, while a halogen high beam bulb puts out 55,000 cp. Even the old sealed beam spotlight bulbs are more than twice as bright as an old sealed beam headlight on high beams, and the power just goes up from there. Beyond looking cool (if you like spotlights), they are very handy if you live in the country where there aren't any street lights, and can also be used as an under hood or work light when needed.

Last edited by markeb01; 03-26-2011 at 02:19 AM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote