View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #80
Smniekamp

Re: 1981 K20 Project - The Blue Ox

This week was a little frustrating, The Ox left me stranded again on the side of the road with no spark....thankfully I was able to figure out that the ICM was the problem. Initially I was thinking the fuel filter may be the problem, but after a little more work I realized that it was an electrical issue. It wasn't a big deal to fix, however, its the 3rd ICM I've burned up in the last 600 miles. Someone told me that aftermarket tachs can short out and burn the ICM. My truck came with one of these aftermarket tachs (which never read accurately), so I removed it along with its wiring. Hopefully that stops me from killing another ICM.

Anyway...after that fix my troubles continued, I was 40 miles away from home in the truck when it stumbled like I was running out of gas. After the stumble it evened itself out and ran fine the rest of the way home....fewww! Once I got home I thought I'd check my fuel filters and make sure everything was in order. Turns out...when I looked at my carb filter on the side of the road (when my ICM died) I put it in backwards.... I flipped it around and what do you know, it runs great now and have had no issues since! My goal is to get a little more painting done this next week.
Name:  Filter 1.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  39.8 KB
If you're familiar with these filters, you'll see this is not the way you want to have them installed into the carb lol. It really helps to have the inlet hole of the filter on the gas line side.
Name:  Filter 2.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  49.5 KB
Smniekamp is offline   Reply With Quote