View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #82
ncpetersc

Re: Help a NOOB - A continuing saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I think you will find it not too daunting to take the carburetor off and to the work bench, and take the top off of it, carefully remove the gasket, and check the needle where it clips to the float to make sure it is clipped right. This is what geezer#99 mentioned in post #40.

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...at.2Ffuel_bowl

And check the float level and correct if necessary. You would not be getting into the inner workings of the carb very much. You may be closer than you think to taking care of the flooding issue. Post the carburetor part number, and post pictures of it, and ask questions if you need to as you go. Don't over-tighten screws on the carb.

The Quadrajet has the filter built in to the inlet, so you don't need to add an external filter. If you add a filter, don't use a clear plastic one, use a metal one, and put it inline with the rubber hose that goes between the frame and the fuel pump, that would put the filter on the no pressure side of the fuel pump. But I really don't think you need one with a Quadrajet. If the internal filter is getting too much rust or dirt in it too often, then you just have to fix that problem, such as clean out and seal up or replace your gas tank.

If you take care of the flooding, then change the oil and proceed with other things. My 2 cents.
Okay, well I am going to call the shop and see what they'll do for me. I plan on telling them that besides finding an unplugged port, and choke not connected (sloppy) the thing appears to be flooding. Just going to say I paid for rebuild, and it is clearly not right. Then ask for a refund. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

I found the $198 carb on the net, and I can keep mine for $88 more. Any good or bad experiences with guaranteedcuarberators? I'll keep looking around (thanks for all the suggestions).

Pulling the carb off? Now I am getting worried. But with you're support maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.

BTW any thoughts/theories of my latest symptom of it running rough and the carb hissing (vac bouncing around 15). But if I cover the air horn it smooths out, stops hissing, and vac returns to 20. Is this another sign the carb isn't right? My divorced choke is still disconnected.

THANKS AGAIN!
ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote