View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 05:41 PM   #83
Dave K.

Re: 1967 GMC Pickup - Museum Quality

I hate to say it but I would never loan it to a museum. They will never take as good a care of it as you would. Even a few scratches would see the value affected. Sorry, I don't trust museums at all...... they'll move it around and such while displayed and will also clean it--do you trust it out of your site with others "taking care of it"?

That being said you have a few things to consider.
1) Documentation and valuation--Insurance. You need to insure the truck appropriately. If you don't it's a big mistake. One garage fire and you've lost a big chunk of change. Review the insurance and coverage with your broker and note the rarity of the vehicle, they may have special coverage but they might also have special restrictions on use and storage as well.

2) Consider selling it if you don't feel you can maintain it and keep it from deteriorating. Seriously, people looking at it and pawing it will inevitably lead to scratches and nicks and such unless you maintain strict control over it.

I have a few low mile survivors and to be honest they aren't much fun. The history in your family though is what would be important to me as a consideration with selling and that's about it--otherwise it would be off to a significant auction.

Valuation is tough in my opinion. One person mentioned "a life-changing offer" being the only way it would be sold. I don't think the value of this would be life-changing--at least not for me (I consider $1M bucks to be life changing!). Tough to value but I'm sure it would grab a lot of cash if sold to the right buyer and was sold in the right venue.

Anyway, just some opinions per what everyone else is giving here, all of them good. It's a beautiful truck and it would be great to see in a museum or at a show sometime but personally I would never take it out of the garage and it would be up on blocks!

I vote with some here in reaching out to GM and see what they think, perhaps they would want it for their museum. I would display it on some rotating base with period correct car show signage....

Good luck! Dave.
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote