View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 AM   #122
1986swb

Re: My '87 SWB Project w/pics!!

twoodson.

If you haven't yet purchased a front sway bar and you have access to a salvage yard, consider upgrading to the larger diameter 1-1/4" OEM front sway bar for your square found on 1988 and earlier 3/4-ton, 2wd Suburbans. I found one with its brackets for $20. I purchased Moog K6476 Urethane bushings ($40 for 4, 2 per box) and 3/8" grade 8 hardware & paint ($20). So for about $80, you can get incredible handling and a more responsive feel with very little body roll compared to the OEM 1-1/16" front sway bar with rubber bushings. I'm sure if I upgraded the 1-1/16" bar with Moog urethane bushings, I would have experienced a noticeable change when compared to the rubber bushings I was using. But the bigger bar is better in this case.

Thanks to TX Firefighters FAQ on sway bars (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=72338), I checked out the Moog urethane bushings at O'Reilly Auto Parts and found them to be very firm. They were slightly less firm as Polyurethane bushings but much harder than rubber. After installing the urethane bushings (dry without any lube), I tested them hard around the curves and turns and they held up extremely well. So far so good regarding noise -- none so far. I don't think they will squeek like Polys but I'll let you know how things are a month or two from now.

Anyway, here are some pics for your reference and use. The first pic is the smaller OEM 1-1/16" sway bar (pic with the grade 8 hardware).

BTW - I shot the sway bar with POR-15 then with a top coat of low-gloss heat resistant black paint to match the rest of my suspension.
Attached Images

1986swb is offline   Reply With Quote