View Single Post
Old 03-05-2023, 08:32 PM   #6
Short 3/4

Re: Couple T221 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
Like you I figured I could use some bronze bushings and Heims to tighten it all up, but looks like maybe it need’s the slop to work right. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and made it work.

Can’t remember what part of the Power Wagon shaft broke, but know it was more than just a U joint, as I could have fixed that myself. As I recall it cost me more than a hundred bucks to have fixed at a drive shaft shop, which back in the 70’s was about a weeks pay, ouch!

Unfortunately the large yolk outputs of both the transfer and trans have the drive for the speedometer cable, so aren’t interchangeable with the input. What I was hoping for was a 1350 yolk that would fit in place of the 1310 input, but maybe such a thing doesn’t exist. Of course the stub shaft would have to be custom made, but I have a spare that could be modified.

Thanks for the reply
Tom
Well I guess I was totally wrong (go figure). I dug through my box of spare 221 parts and it turns out all the input and output yolks are interchangeable. Unfortunately all I have is a pile of 1/2 ton 1310 yolks. If anyone out there has a 3/4 ton case that they’d like to run in a 1/2 ton I’ll gladly swap outputs with you.

Also found out the 1350 output on a SM420 is definitely different. That’s the one that has the integrated speedo drive gear. Had them mixed up.

So anyway, I guess I’m finally figuring this thing out. Once I find another yolk I can have one of my spare shafts modified. Goes to show you really can’t have too many spare parts when you’re into this old junk!
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote