View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Re: Glovebox Toolkit - Cheap

I often carry nothing but luck. I was driving the '90 Blazer I had down in VA while working on my sister's place. I was almost into town slowing for a red light and noticed I had a rear tire "loping". I pulled onto the grass to find I had only one wheel stud left w/lug nut. I had no tools except a carpentry tool bag and my son had not put the jack handle back in the truck. I had a pair of tin sheers I opened up to make a cross, stuck one tip in the jack and raised the truck. I removed the one lug nut. Now this thing had a posi so no spinning the axle with only one side lifted. Fortunately all 5 broken studs sat with nothing like the wheel cylinder in the way. I took the drift punch out of the tool pouch and knocked the busted studs out. Right about then someone stopped to offer help so I got a ride to NAPA for studs and lug nuts. Was able to get them all installed w/o spinning the axle and went on my merry way to have dinner with the gal who stopped and helped me. Figuring out how to fix it without proper tools was routine, being able to remove and replace the studs was fortunate, but the dinner date and rest of evening was pure luck!!

That's just one story of getting through a breakdown smoothly when not well equipped. Gotta have faith man

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote