View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
Ta2Don

Donz '60 SWB Rusty Patina Slow Build...

Here we goooooo…. Truck addiction, obsession, problem, has set in according to my lovely wife... After dragging this one home yesterday, she asked, "What do you plan do do to this one?" My answer, I don't know yet, but once I finish the '65 I'll start on this one… That's the reason "SLOW" is in the title...

For those who are familiar with my '65 short stepper build, and also for those just now finding my craziness, when I first jumped back into playing with old trucks I was originally looking at a '60 SWB a friend of mine had… While doing some internet research about those year trucks I found this little corner of the internet that has become my home away from home… I truly value the friendships that have formed thanks to this site...

I recommend this site to anyone and everyone I meet that is working on or driving the general's metal...

On to the story and the pics...

I recently started working at a local parts store as a side job.. After retiring from the USAF, I ran my own tattooing business for 20 plus years and now Tattoo by appointment only, letting my son step up and run the studio…
While working the parts counter I met a guy working on a '63 C10, and during our conversation I mentioned a friend of mine was looking for a dual headlight grille… He said he had one he'd part with for $50 that included 4 new headlights… Martin declined the offer of the grille, since he's in the UK and the logistics weren't favorable. A couple of days later I went to look at the grille for my personal stash of parts… As I drove to check out the grille, my brain finally worked through the cobwebs of time and I realized I had met the guy with the grille previously… His stepdaughter had worked for me at the tattoo studio maybe 15 or so years ago… And he remembered me when I got to his place...
Here's what I found when I made the short 5 mile ride to where the grille was…
IMG_6273 by Donald Olivo, on Flickr

As we discussed the grille, he offered me the truck, saying he thought it was a '61, minus the seat and tailgate for $300…He had already offered the seat and tailgate to another person… I agreed to buy and over the course of the next few weeks his son started working at the parts store with me… During our conversations at the parts store, he ended up questioning me about a tattoo he has wanted… Long story short, he's getting a tattoo and I have the truck in my stable...
I really like the barter system…
He dropped buy the parts store Wednesday and said he was ready for me to get the truck, plus the seat and tailgate were staying with the truck… so yesterday I rode over and helped (watched and turned the steering wheel a little) as he winched the '60 up on the trailer…
Untitled by Donald Olivo, on Flickr

Turning for the last half of the trip to my place...

Getting ready to back into my drive…

My little dog JoJo checking out the happenings…

Easing it off the trailer…

Parked and waiting…

Camper shell has preserved the insides of the bed, although the floor is rotted and a piece of plywood covers a majority of the bed…

Old School Gun Rack…

Basic, unmolested dash…

Rockers and floors are needing some new metal…

Apache badges are present on both sides…

Basic heater with core and fan inside cab…

I6 235 has been sitting in the weather sans hood and air cleaner, so I'm pretty sure the 235 is not going to turn easily...

The windshield rubber id dry, cracking, and separated at the bottom…

Donnie, aka DWcardfan, and I traded some parts awhile back… part of the trade was a hood that I plan on cutting up for a cowl hood project… So today after work my bro-in-law and I bolted it on…
by Donald Olivo, on Flickr

Found this old oil can in the passenger side cab corner…

…and the remains of the passenger side mirror…

The only missing body parts are the hood and driver's side cowl extension…

As a plan develops I will post here… as stated on my '65 thread, this truck is in the bullpen til the '65 is road-worthy… In the meantime I will be researching front suspension swaps and or mods to facilitate the addition of disc brakes and power steering… I want to keep the 6 lug setup…

Thanx for looking guys...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote