View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #12
jocko

Re: Emergency Brake Delete on Rear Drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
If the weight of the truck on the ground won't stop it from rolling/sliding, surely the brake pads don't stand a chance?

If anything a complete failure of the braking system would be my concern, I don't know the statistics on complete failures on dual reservoir systems tho.
On a flat surface, sure, you’re gonna be fine. But on a grade, you’re rolling the dice. The weight works against you eventually. A couple pebbles squatted on will make for a truck slipping down the hill. The rubber contact patch of the tire on the pavement provides the friction to keep you sliding or rolling when not allowed to rotate by a parking brake. Mere weight of a vehicle that is resting by its frame on a bunch of pebbles is not a valid parking brake system.

Keep in mind that your total brake system has nothing to do with not rolling when parked. At that point it is based on the parking brake system only, a separate system. Or it’s your trans parking pawl absorbing all the stress if you are relying on an auto trans to save the day. Until it breaks.

The only correct answer is to have a brake system built to not fail and to have a separate parking brake system. I’m not trackin the resistance to including it.

Last edited by jocko; 10-13-2017 at 09:50 AM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote