View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #47
Brad54

Re: 60-66 GMC or Chevy, grey interior?

Regarding the question about the firetruck cab being painted red inside.
I don't know if this applies to Chevys, but governments DID get some special things for their vehicles. For instance, we've all seen the Municipal Orange trucks--though I don't know if they changed the interior color on those trucks.

I do know this from the Mopar side of the hobby: California Highway Patrol vehicles all had a white steering wheel, regardless of interior or exterior colors--it was so the steering wheel didn't get hot from the sun.

My '62 Suburban was an original California Parks and Services vehicle--4-speed Granny, Dana 44 axle with 3.90 Posi, coil spun suspension, middle seat only with fixed rearmost side windows. They also put on a police-style push-bar on the front bumper.

All indications are the 4-speed was original to the trans--the handle came out at the same angle as the round-knob handles, but then it bends straight up to the ceiling, and has an upright shift "knob" that is more like the handle of a bull dozer's stick.
It's black Bakelite, about six inches tall, and screwed onto the threads of the shifter handle.
Handle was never heated and bent--it came that way.

I don't have access to it right now for pics.

Knowing what I do about the CHP cars, I wouldn't be surprised if all of their trucks were spec'd to have that shifter.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote