View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Rollback! Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
The majority of tow trucks on the eastern side of the country came from Raliegh NC. I don't remember the name of the company but I've made several trips myself down to pick up a new tow rig. They buy the cab and chassis, the utility body/beds, booms, and winch's from the factories and install, set up, and sell them right there. You can take a tour of the whole plant. They mostly use Dynamic and Jerr-Dan set ups now-a-days, but 30+ years ago there was quite a bunch more manufacturers (Holmes was a very popular brand name thru-out the 70s). There should be a small tag somewhere on the bed that will tell the info on Who, where, what it is along with the weight and hauling capacities. the tags are typically near the control area. Anyhow, if you can get some more pics of the bed a little closer I can show it to my step-brother who owns the tow/repo' business I worked for and he will probably know right away what kind it is. He's been in the business for 37 years now. It's definitely a great find! It would be a good candidate for a 8.1 liter LS swap , Maybe painted to match your 71.
I will try and get some more pictures of it as soon as I can. Working all weekend long so it maybe Monday before I get back by there.
The bed is fixed doesn't move. There is no winch but I can add that later. I was going to leave it pretty much as is and just clean it up good make it road worth and use it for local car shows with the 71 on it. the owner says the brakes need work. manual brakes now but I will install a booster if I do buy it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote