View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Cummins 4bt conversion

Quote:
So my tentative plan (everything for me depends on how the wind blows - literallyand financially) was to buy a cleaner Blazer than the one i have and then do the swap. Nothing wrong with my current one, but its kind of high mileage and in need of a pretty spendy paint job and some interior work (it only cost me $2k so what did i expect)

I know that sounds like a high dollar operation to buy a 5 -6k Blazer and then do a 4 or 5k engine swap, but when you compare it to spending 30k (or more) on a new Tahoe, it adds a new element to it.
Just to save time and frustration, why not look for a clean low mileage K5 already equipped with the 6.2? Take stock of the condition of the 6.2 and if need be replace it with a newer 6.5 with the manual injection pump. If you want the turbo, buy the Banks Turbo kit for it. Reason beaing is the 6.5's do hold up better than the old 6.2's as the manufacturing process got better as they went along.

As far as mileage goes, it should already have the 700r4 with it so there is your needed OD gear. Since off road won't be a major priority, gear it for the highway and run stock size tires. If you can keep your foot out of the turbo, low to mid 20's shouldn't be too hard to attain.

On the plus side, it would neen zero fab work. If you find a clean low mileage example you might be able to get in and go without doing much more than upkeep. Then you can add the 6.5 or 4bt later.

Lots of info to be had here: http://www.thedieselpage.com/

It's all up to you. I look at the easy way. Why spend a ton of money to make a diesel blazer when it's already been done? Granted, 6.2's and 6.5's have a bad rep, but most of those issues are addressed by the above website. A 4bt would beat a 6.2 as far as longterm durability, but how long would you need to drive it to recover the cost?
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote