View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
mr48chev

Re: How can I make this transmission work on my 51?

Bolt it in. You will need an open drive rear axle and driveshaft.

It isn't quite that simple but it appears to be a full syncro 3 speed out of a 70 something pickup. If it has 7 bolts holding the side cover on that is what the info I find says it is.

You should be able to unbolt the shift arms and use the shift arms off the old transmission. If you can't make them work you will have to hunt down some that will work but that shouldn't be too difficult. The way it is set up now you wouldn't be able to shift between gears on the one with the long lever as your lever on the column wouldn't have enough travel.

I've got pretty much the same transmission in my 48 and have had it in there for 20 or so years with a floor shift.

Don't let that little box on the speedometer drive get away. That is the calibration box for the speedometer and by changing gears inside you can calibrate the speedometer without taking the trans apart or sending the speedometer off. Truck shops that sell semi truck parts or service semi trucks usually have a box with all the little gears in it to set one up.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote