View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Got the new in the box wheels with center caps off of ebay today. Seems like a good deal and was surprised they let them go so cheap. Paid $459 including shipping. Best price I could get from them over the phone was $580 with shipping. Tires to follow.

Mocked up the front fender and bed side on the stock GMC wheels and large stock tires. Hard to see past the bulkiness. Put white chalk on the part that will not be there when I get the smaller O.D. tires but it did not help much. The big dilemma will be the wheelbase. Shortening the bed by slicing an inch or two from in front of the rear wheel may not be so good visually. May have to commit to lengthening the frame. The good news about lengthening the frame is that it is constructed in two halves. Theoretically, grind the circular and linear welds and slide the front frame section forward. The guy who delivered it said they take them apart routinely. The frame sections overlap about 4.5" so I could get 2 to 3 inches out of it and weld a plate or two on the outside for strength.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote