View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #46
Northwest Outlaw

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

SHE'S ALIVE!!!
https://youtu.be/txtKBJ_lQXc
After spending a couple weekends getting a bunch of little things buttoned up on the engine, and a small break for Christmas back home with the folks, I had my buddy Erik come back over to help get things fired up. I was hopeful that i was within a day's worth of work from getting the engine started, but only about 60%. It was probably a combination of doubt in my wrenching skills and managing my expectations.
I had thrown the old radiator back on just for this as i'm going to order a new 3-row champion aluminium rad with trans cooler, but the new one has the same inlet and outlet placements and sizes so I pick up new hoses.
Once we poured some new gas in the tank and finished off the last of the wiring to the battery and starter, I was sure i would have get under the dash and fix what the P.O. had done in there (see previous posts to witness the wire nests I've had to deal with). On Erik's advice "lets see if it works as it should and then track down any problems" I turned the key and she cranked! She cranked and cranked and cranked and cranked...
Drained one battery but luckily i had another, sitting in a '75 f100 i had recently picked up, and we threw it in. Gas started showing up in the in-line filter so we knew the pump was working, but we were helping out by giving her a little extra shot straight down the throat. After getting a bunch of backfires, Erik popped open the distributor cap and my novice skills presented themselves. I had installed the distributor 180 out. We flipped that thing around and she fired up on the first crank! In the video it sounds off at first because we forgot to put the #1 spark plug back in after finding TDC.
Erik spent 15 min fiddling with the carb, swearing the whole time at the Rochester Quadrajet and how i should get a holley. He was able to get the idle to a decent spot.
Such a good feeling to have a running truck! well, the engine runs. I still need a drive shaft, new radiator and exhaust before she's street worthy.
For all his help, and his Christmas gift I made the saw for him.
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote