View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
hemi43

Re: Engine Fan Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69BlazBlaz View Post
That second picture is what is on there now. Does the thermocouple come with the fans you recommended or is that a separate part? Other than a small HP loss, what’s the advantage over a mechanical fan? If the fan stops working, like mine has, is there a safety on it to let me know so I don’t overheat? I know I should be watching the temp gauge, but I don’t constantly watch it everywhere I go. Just questions I have.
An electric fan is more efficient, especially if driving slow or idling. Mechanical fans were never any good even brand new, and I blame the fan shape design as well as the large gap needed between the fan blade tips and the shroud. This gap is to allow the engine to flex under load and not have the blades hit the edge of the shroud.
Most of the installs I do are on computer controlled vehicles, so it's easy to switch the fan on and off because the vehicle's computer has one or two fan outputs that can easily be programmed. The link below is a simple type of controller you want if you don't have a computer controlled engine. I've never used this particular one, but it's one I quickly found doing a search. As I said before, it senses coolant temperature, not fin temperature.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...85fh/overview/

Last edited by hemi43; 09-06-2018 at 01:32 PM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote