View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #581
Willowrun

Re: Vintage 4wd Pictures:Other Makes

Lastly, it seems that most people tend to like IH Scouts. Unfortunately, finding one that you can't see through because of the rust is next to impossible no matter where you're located. I had always looked on CL from time to time in my area to see if there was a remote chance a rust free one would come up and one night as a flight was delayed I found the brown one. From NM and totally rust free. Problems are it is a very early Scout II so it has D30 Drum front, super low gear ratio (numerically high), and it had several bent push rods in the 304 which is a common problem with the IH engines if the motor has sat a while without running. After getting it running almost right (flat cam lobe I'm thinking) I figured I'd cut my losses and look for a good drive train and put the good body on the good frame/drive train.

I found the rusty blue one in OH and it checked all of the boxes. 345 that I was able to get running no problem, and overall an unmolested rig with just a ton of body rust. Frame is perfect though and it has disc brakes in the front on D44's with what I consider desirable ratios for what I use them for (3.08's). I tore it apart and the frame and drivetrain are in my garage now. Plan is a 3" lift with 31's or 32's. I had to order springs from Alcan since there are very limited options and what is out there is said to ride like a tank.

Not sure what I'll do with the body...leave it as is or go full on repaint/stripes in the baby blue.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote