View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
OSE_NERO

Re: Increased MPG for carbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Just so you know a f1 car avgs 3.1mpg some one is pulling your leg big time.Take a look at http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-finalists-won Its 840lbs with 40hp that's what a real 100mpg+ car is.
Ok, so I finally found it, and it turns out they used a carbon-fiber F1 chassis and an electric driving system. It hits 300 mpg though, which is still pretty cool.

And so what about my bubble? I'm still optimistic that there is something out there that can break 18mpg for us "barn doors".

On top of that, I also feel like the stories of getting those huge numbers off of modding the carb are true, since I've heard them from a few places even when I was growing up. My grandpa even knew a guy that did the conversion himself and saw similar figures, and did so for anyone that paid him for his time to do so, but he lost contact with him a couple decades ago it seems.

The whole idea is plausible. I mean, the entire "theory" is that it uses fumes, which are much more potent and easier to consume than raw fuel. If you've ever lit alcohol on fire, it's the same thing. The fumes are so flammable that the liquid never catches on fire. The flame actually just causes the alcohol to evaporate and burn above it.

Think of it another way. You hear of houses being soaked in gasoline and lit on fire. What happens? It burns down. Then you hear about a gas leak in another house. What happens when a flame is introduced? A cinema worthy boom.

Besides, if it doesn't work, then I'll be where I'll be. If it does, then huzzah! I've done it.

OSE_NERO is offline   Reply With Quote