View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #118
SCOTI

Re: 60-66 Tire/Wheel Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepAside View Post
Im new to all of this....what does it take to change a 6 lug to a 5 lug....I really want some torque thrust on my truck but I don't like the 6 lug torque thrust...how much money are we talking here to modify? Please advise...
Disc brakes up front get you better, more consistent, braking ability & 5-lugs. The rear can go several ways: used 5-lug rear end swap, re-drill the original 6-lug axles to 5-lug, or new 5-lug 'replacement' axle swap.

The front swaps depend on if you do 'one stop internet shopping' or if you're more of a used parts harvester. I've done disc swaps using 73-87 donor parts for about $300; internet kits can run up to about $700 depending on options. The rear stuff is subjective. Some properly equipped automotive based machine shops can weld-up & re-drill 6-lug axles to the pattern you want for around/up to $200; but they'll still be 45+yr old parts. The rear end swap is only as good as the rear getting swapped. If the current rear end is good, replacement 5-lug axle 'kits' go for around $300-400 bux but you get new, stronger axles w/zero wear.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote