Thread: 72 C20 Headers
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
jocko

Re: 72 C20 Headers

It sounds as though you both have good factory cast iron exhaust and just need new pipes. I completely understand the urge for headers, however, it's worth hearing before you plink down your money that there are downsides/considerations to having them. Keep in mind they will heat up the engine compartment a bit if not wrapped. They can melt plug wires, but at the very least, you'll have to take some care in routing the wires. They may add a bit more noise (in the engine compartment) to a comparably muffled engine, not much, but since you mentioned your wife won't ride until it gets an exhaust, that's something to consider. They can make your starter hot and cause starting troubles, they can even make your floorboards hotter in the front. And, lastly, they tend to leak at the gasket to the cylinder head (unless you get quality thick flange headers). Oh, and they rust if quickly if they are the uncoated type (since you mentioned the less expensive ones). It's easy to not see the good side to the cast iron manifolds - and headers have a cool factor about them that tends to fade soon after the install. Sometimes you HAVE to get headers - cracked exh manifold and can't find a replacement, etc.

I forgot to mention, they cost money. There are workarounds to many of the side effects, but those also cost money, and time.

Any exhaust shop can install a set of duals from the cast iron manifolds on back and it will sound great. All up to the muffler at that point. Just a thought - and please don't get me wrong, I'm not poo-pooing headers - I've installed them several times, but since the first set, I've grown to prefer the cast iron for the above reasons. Something to consider before taking the plunge.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote