View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #18
MARTINSR

Re: Stripping Body Panels to Bare Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I've had good luck with paint strippers using the heavy duty rubber forearm length rubber gloves. Not the thin latex type. Long sleeve shirt and pants. All this stuff gets tossed in the garbage after I'm done. Safety glasses and a face shield are a must.

Get the part on a table. Thick plastic sheeting down underneath to make clean up easy. Use the cheap throw away paint brushes to apply. Factory paint and primer will take a couple of applications and scraping. Non-factory paint comes off very easily. Lots of ventilation but not out in the sun.

Stay away the seams where the stripper can seep into and be hard to get out.

As soon as I get a part stripped I take it to a local body shop and they shoot it with etching primer and seam seal it for me. Body work can follow later.
Oh do I have some memories.

I was working at a semi truck painting place around 1980 and we would chemically strip the cabs so we didn't have to sand around the rivets the body panels were held on with. It was a hot summer and I was out side with full gear on with a five gallon bucket of stripper applying it with a 6" wide brush! I had very thick gloves on and I had built up a pretty big sweat and very carefully wiped the sweat from my forehead with the back of my wrist. Oh yeah, that's all it took baby, there was a tiny amount of stripper on the edge of the glove that got on my forehead!

HOLY CRAP did that burn, HOLY CRAP and I couldn't get water on it very fast because I was covered in stripper all over the gloves and crap, wow.

Another time I had a 68 Camaro (around 1985) and my neighbor at my shop stripped it for me. That guy had no finger prints when he was done! His hands were friggin mush, it took a long time for them to heal up.

Next time you are flying, he may be your pilot, he is a commercial airline pilot now.

Without a doubt the best tip to using stripper is to spread it on with a brush moving in one direction, DO NOT back stroke. Spread it out and LEAVE IT work. It's "gases" are what does the job from what I understand. If you back stroke it, the gases are able to escape.

You can even cover it with plastic sheets to keep the gases in. I have never done that because dealing with that stripper covered plastic does NOT sound like a good time.

Put plastic on the ground, strip the paint off the part and then bunch up that plastic trapping the stripper and throw it in the garbage can.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote