View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #59
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Picked up the crank and block from the machine shop today. I was very lucky. The cylinders measured out OK, so I got by with a cleaning, honing, new cam bearings & freeze plugs installed. The crank was OK with just a polish. Total bill was $145, for total spent so far at $535.00.

If this was going to be any kind of performance, rock solid rebuild, this just wouldn't be adequate. But for this project, it's just right. I've thought about this project alot and I am truly surprised that it is coming together like it has. I mean, what are the odds that I find one yard truck needing so much, then another of the same year and make, that basically needs the exact parts that I have on hand.

I have a date set to pick up the other Jimmy on 7/9. I think I'm going to pull the wheels off the current truck and save another $50 on the new truck. They are just steel wheels with small rubber. Not really worth selling or the hassle.

I will probably not do any wrenching until after the new truck is home. I have 2 of the 3 honey do's completed and need to get the 3rd done to keep the wife happy. If momma ain't happy, nobodies happy. After that point though, watch the rust, dust, mold, hunks of carpet, and broken bolts fly.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote