View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #37
niceguy678us

Re: 1972 Highlander 6.0/4L80E/LoMax

I used Rusty's offroad shocks. I put the part numbers in one of the posts above. They are really well made, and so far give a nice ride. I am not running a sway bar, but I might if I find it's necessary.

At the moment I am fighting with pitman arms, so I have not put any real miles on the set up yet. Evidently, there's only two manufacturers who make pitman arms for everyone. Those two companies have the spline hole tool for the pitman arm splined hole. Well according to what I've found out from purchasing many arms and shipping them back and forth, the tool is very worn and is producing large variances in the past few years. I have measured three arms side by side BRAND NEW off the shelf, and found 70 thousandths difference between them. That's HUGE when you are trying to fit a tapered splined shaft. I am done with the "ford style" 3 inch drop arms, I should have known better than trying to use a F****'n ford part on my truck.

Right now I am on the "dodge style" 4 inch drop arms. I found an old used one on ebay that measures within 5 thousandths of my output shaft, so well see. It fits nice and tight at the bottom of my splined shaft so it should get really tight once torqued on.

I am looking into welding some pieces to it so I can have the heim joint captured in double shear, another reason why I am using the 4 inch drop arm.

Here are some pics so you'll know what I'm talking about.

This is the ford style arm 3 inch drop "teardrop arm"

This is the jeep style arm

And this is the dodge style arm 4 inch drop (more robust of the three)
1959 Apache 3100 SWB Fleetside
2006 VTX 1800f

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=highlander
niceguy678us is offline   Reply With Quote