View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #48
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: STOCK 67-72 Steering Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I used the method below on my black seat belt buckles and some other miscellaneous pieces. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on the steering wheels with the color cast into the plastic.

First, I used 400-1000 grit sandpaper to remove fine scratches. Following that, I buffed them with the white rouge compound and a soft flannel buff that I use as the final step in polishing stainless. I used VERY light pressure to avoid softening or melting the plastic. The buckles look new. You may want to practice first on something that's not as valuable as your steering wheel.
Very cool. What do you recommend to the novice for a tool? Speak of which.......maybe... at some point I may have to invest in a good light weight angle grinder. Especially with the frame coming up.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote